Lancer Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lancer Nation

Honesty Always Welcomed!

Lancer NationLancer Nation  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

cleaning of your throttle body

Go down 
+6
sk18
Scissorshand
donyong
DK
Reverend
jan999
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jan999
jan999

Number of posts : 164
Vehicle Type : Lancer GT
Registration date : 2009-10-30

cleaning of your throttle body Empty
PostSubject: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:02 am

carbon tends to acculumated in your throttle body., if not cleaned, it can caused your car unstable idling when idle.

DIY:

TB is secured by 4 bolts

remove rubber hoses (2 of them) are needed

wire plug need to be unplugged

manually push the flap n wipe to ensure tat every part is cleaned, u may use chemical srapy to help for the cleaning.

remember to top up coolant if some of the coolant leaked out during the cleaning. u can cover it up nicely to prevent it from happend though.

do it after like 20k or more mileage la. no need to do that frequent de.
Back to top Go down
Reverend
Admin
Reverend

Number of posts : 355
Vehicle Type : Lansi
Registration date : 2009-09-08

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 9:47 pm

jan999 wrote:
carbon tends to acculumated in your throttle body., if not cleaned, it can caused your car unstable idling when idle.

DIY:

TB is secured by 4 bolts

remove rubber hoses (2 of them) are needed

wire plug need to be unplugged

manually push the flap n wipe to ensure tat every part is cleaned, u may use chemical srapy to help for the cleaning.

remember to top up coolant if some of the coolant leaked out during the cleaning. u can cover it up nicely to prevent it from happend though.

do it after like 20k or more mileage la. no need to do that frequent de.
Or can use Snow Performance Boost Cooler Water+Methanol... it'll steam clean as well Smile
Back to top Go down
DK
DK

Number of posts : 128
Vehicle Type : Lancer GT 2.0
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for sharing Sean.. Not exactly a DIY person.. will probably get SC to do it.. hehehe..
Back to top Go down
Reverend
Admin
Reverend

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 11:36 pm

I also dunno how to do it, even after reading stupid Ason's instructions. Also I'm lazy Razz
Back to top Go down
donyong

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 9:21 am

There are a couple of ways to keep it clean.

One way is what Jan999 suggested. The other couple of alternatives I can think of are: -

1) Install an oil catch tank, (reverend, do you have a picture of it?)
2) Install a filter as I did.

cleaning of your throttle body Lancer12

Last edited by donyong on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Reverend
Admin
Reverend

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am

Here's my generic OCT :

cleaning of your throttle body Dsc07410
Back to top Go down
jan999
jan999

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 9:34 am

yap, either way., but Donny, even with OCT, u need to clean it but at higher mileage of coz Smile
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:03 am

Does Leon sell OCT? What the most reasonable $$$ OCT available in KV?
Back to top Go down
jan999
jan999

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 12:09 pm

price ranges from 120-700, brand range from cap ayam to Greddy
Back to top Go down
sk18
sk18

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2009-10-26

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 3:10 pm

Would not mind putting a 'cap ayam' brand. Have to find a space to put this tank in the already crowded engine bay.

Donny, if you just use a filter system, wouldn't this result in the oily air being pushed out into the engine bay ? Then you will later have oily surface on everything ???
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Wow!!!! So expensive, i think i will install it on my next turbo car.
Back to top Go down
Elan
Elan

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 pm

i got OCT installed, but still my TB is very dirty. maybe bcos i'm using open pod.
Back to top Go down
gelygeleman
gelygeleman

Number of posts : 900
Vehicle Type : Mitsubishi Lancer GT
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 am

bro elan, i think u did it last 2 weeks right. mayb u can share the step with us here.
my OCT no sign of oil inside la. already install it more than a years & i always drive hi ram & hi speed also.

bro, can we spend this weekend to open the TB & clean it?
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 6:53 am

Yup Elan, read abt u cleaning it i think................do share them here or maybe take some new photos when cleaning GG's TB.....
Back to top Go down
Elan
Elan

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 2:58 pm

ok GG, we diy yr TB next weekend. will take pics and post it here.
Back to top Go down
donyong

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 pm

The throttle body may be cleaned but will be very dirty again. Why? If you look closely, you notice that the EGR (the PVC hose next to the timing chain at the cylinder head) goes into the intake manifold. If you remove the throttle body, and use a torchlight, you notice your intake manifold is very dirty.

The exhaust gas in re-circulated into the intake manifold, hence the TB will be dirty even if you use OCT or breather pipe.

Solution : Apart from cleaning the TB, clening the intake manifold is essential. Buy Carburetta Cleaner (not the STP type since it is very expensive as recommeded by someone else). Available in JJ at a very cheap price per can. Spray into the TB and use cloth to wipe clear.

Otherwise, but a suction hose to suck all of it out (the suction bottle can be purchased at hardware shop??? looks like something like TOS use to suck the brake fluid during brake fluid bleed).

I believe this solution can last 1000km or so before cleaning is required again.
Back to top Go down
Elan
Elan

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:17 pm

yes bro, i saw the intake manifold is very dirty, and its very thick. planning to dismantle the manifold and clean it soon.
Back to top Go down
gelygeleman
gelygeleman

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

ya, very good advice, so we plan to diy next weekend bro.
i think open pot air intake sys will giv more dirty to TB compare to drop in air intake setup.
anyway, adviseble to clean our TB & air intake manifold every 30k milage..
Back to top Go down
warnutz

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Pls post the DIY meeting venue, would like to get pointers from the sifus. So far a few members already diy to clean the throttle body and have no complains i.e. error code.

i guess it's safe to diy? mechanice got mention better not to touch the TB due to its nature i.e. drive-by-wire.
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Its ady done............it has been posted somewhere here by GG
Back to top Go down
gelygeleman
gelygeleman

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 pm

cleaning of your throttle body Icon_biggrin hope it wil help
Back to top Go down
warnutz

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-04-23

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 pm

oh those pics from GG's car engine bay. Thought could see the cleaning done in person.

GG: Can get the bigger pics from u?
Back to top Go down
gelygeleman
gelygeleman

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 12:20 am

okie, i'll post bigger size later for those who interested to diy.
now stil o/station in sabah.
Back to top Go down
Reverend
Admin
Reverend

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Yesterday I cleaned this damn thing. I say damn thing coz removing those two rubber hoses was a bitch, farking diff to remove coz those metal round clips are so damn tight.

Anyway, I actually didn't need to clean coz it was quite clean, hehe. I think the K&N drop-in is doing pretty good job Smile
Back to top Go down
Elan
Elan

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:04 pm

yes u r rite Rev, K&N is has a very good filtering element. highly recomended for those who want drop in filter.
Back to top Go down
Fuza
Fuza

Number of posts : 556
Vehicle Type : LGT 2.0, white
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:29 pm

k&n with oil catch tank.... throttle body must be so clean
Back to top Go down
gelygeleman
gelygeleman

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:42 pm

throttle body clean..
cleaning of your throttle body 11042010
cleaning of your throttle body 11042011
cleaning of your throttle body 11042012
cleaning of your throttle body 11042013
cleaning of your throttle body Tb_com10 After Complete Cleaning
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cleaning of your throttle body   cleaning of your throttle body Empty

Back to top Go down

cleaning of your throttle body
Page 1 of 1