Lancer Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lancer Nation

Honesty Always Welcomed!

Lancer NationLancer Nation  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Keepin a dog?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

Number of posts : 255
Vehicle Type : Lancer GT
Registration date : 2009-11-03

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 2:37 pm

I intend to buy me a dog for my new home coz it's much bigger than existing? I like dogs, my kids wan one and i hoping to find one. Care to share yr ups & downs of keeping a dog? Cost especially?
Back to top Go down
CJ8
CJ8

Number of posts : 34
Vehicle Type : Lancer GT 2.0
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 3:36 pm

bro wat breed of dog u intend to buy 1st?

tats de most important thing u need to decide b4 going into other cost..

cheers my man!
Back to top Go down
Reverend
Admin
Reverend

Number of posts : 355
Vehicle Type : Lansi
Registration date : 2009-09-08

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 3:58 pm

You need to decide if the dog is primarily for your kids, and if it's for the kids, whether they want a big or small/play dog.

I have a Golden as well as a Daschund (correct spelling?). Both of them shed hair quite a bit (just to warn you), Goldens tend to be quite manja and love attention, love to play. Goldens are also great with kids. They are NOT good guard dogs since they're very playful and love even strangers. The Daschund may be small but it barks at strangers almost every time.

My wife's preferred dog would be a German Shepherd.
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 1:39 am

I prefer Golden coz its primarily for my kids...............but wifey likes German la. I heard Germans also shed pretty much and can go pyscho also. Is it true?
Back to top Go down
sk18
sk18

Number of posts : 140

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 am

Scissorhand, you can look into getting the short hair Alsation or German shepherd. These dogs are smart, loyal and good guard dogs. When young, you should start training it to be part of the family. Do not physically abuse it and it will be very loyal. It you get a puppy, I can pass to you some goodies that will help it grow into a strong dog. SK18
Back to top Go down
Scissorshand
Scissorshand

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:15 am

SK18, thank u X 2, Alsation maybe another alternative. SK18, does these buggers eat a lot?
Back to top Go down
sk18
sk18

Number of posts : 140

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 11:30 am

Well, it all depends. In the past when I had an alsation, it grew and grew (>60kg). At that time, dog food (dry and canned) was not that common. We gave it a large meal at dinner which consisted of cooked meat (pork or chicken). I remember that it was eating about half kg of meat with rice and some veges. For brunch, we spoil him with egg tarts and bread with butter/jam. Not kidding you.

These days, I would say that you can feed your dog with the dried dog food from vet shops or supermarkets. A really good balance to keep your pet healthy. Once you keep an alsation (or any dog breed), you must be prepared to raise it healthy (food, vaccinations, etc), wash, etc. Large dogs will eat a lot but you will need to control its diet so that it will not be overweight. Large dogs need to exercise...not just walking but running in the park. A lot of commitment.
Back to top Go down
beagle
beagle

Number of posts : 14
Vehicle Type : 9th Gen black Lancer GT
Registration date : 2009-11-26

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi,

I have 4 dogs ranging from big (Dalmatian) to small (toy poodle). I am a dog lover but I can tell you a happy relationship between owner and dog is only possible if you find the correct breed/temperament to suit your lifestyle. It won't work if your family has to 'adapt' to the dog just because you like its 'look.' Keepin a dog? Icon_biggrin

If you are a first time inexperienced owner, it is always better to get a breed that is easier to train... like Retriever. Unless you're willing to fork out $$$ to get a trainer for the Alsatian, it is not advisable to get that breed for a first time owner.

Just sharing my 2 cents... Keepin a dog? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Keepin a dog? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keepin a dog?   Keepin a dog? Empty

Back to top Go down

Keepin a dog?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lancer Nation :: Non Lancer Talk / Other Interest :: Off Topics-
Jump to: